Interesting People mailing list archives

Groundhog Day 2010: Should FCC Reclassify Broadband?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:56:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: January 29, 2010 4:46:38 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Groundhog Day 2010: Should FCC Reclassify Broadband?

Groundhog Day 2010: Should the FCC Reclassify Broadband Internet Service?

by Barbara Esbin

As we approach Groundhog Day, 2010, we are faced with calls for the Federal Communications Commission to re-classify broadband Internet service from an "information service" to a "telecommunications service" under the Communications Act so that it may be more comprehensively regulated by the agency. Public Knowledge has formally requested that the FCC address the question of reclassification of broadband service as a Title II common carrier service as part of its National Broadband Plan, now due to be delivered to Congress by March 17, 2010. A stated reason for this request is to end regulatory uncertainty over the breadth and depth of the FCC's "ancillary jurisdiction" to regulate broadband Internet services. Yet acceding to such a request would take us on a time loop where we are doomed to repeat the regulatory exercises of the recent past with little regard to the lessons learned along the way.

The situation brings to mind the 1993 film, " Groundhog Day," in which an egotistical and sardonic TV meteorologist, Phil Connors must travel to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania for the hated annual assignment of reporting on the emergence of the groundhog "Phil" from winter hibernation with his weather report. A blizzard, which Phil reported would miss the area, soon strands our meteorologist in Punxsutawney. By virtue of some cosmic loop, Phil discovers that every time he awakens it is February 2nd, Groundhog Day and he must once again repeat the same day. No one but the erstwhile Phil, however, remembers the actions of the day before. Armed with the knowledge that there will be no long term consequences, Phil begins to misbehave. Eventually, he decides to use what he learns each day to improve himself and the lives of those around him. The phrase "Groundhog Day" has since passed into the popular vernacular as a reference to an unpleasant situation that continually repeats, or seems to.

Are we doomed to continually replay the debate over the imposition of common carrier requirements on broadband ISPs, without learning from our past? Or will we, like Phil the meteorologist, learn from regulatory history, and remove, rather than impose, regulatory barriers to investment and innovation?

More at

http://blog.pff.org/archives/2010/01/groundhog_day_2010_should_the_fcc_reclassify_broad.html