Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:53:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: January 14, 2010 12:41:19 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lyons () geekcq com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

Dave,

Tim makes a correct distinction. Many "one v. two" party laws in states solely deal with audio. Video is fast rising to match due to fairly obvious violations of personal privacy (e.g. "upskirt" video for lack of a better example; a rather obvious violation of a person's expectation of privacy).

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/ excellent reference, including state by state regulations.

I did have the unfortunate chance to experience Maryland's law enforcement take on video from their perspective. Yes, I was speeding down I95 on day in 2009 and moved right to pull over before the officer in the median even turned on his lights. His first words were "this is being recorded on audio and video for [our] protection" which I thought was a superb idea. (I was given a warning but he had be a good 13mph over the speed limit....).

My thought afterwards was I thought the interaction was nothing short of 100% professional, and I felt much safer being recorded. I sensed the officer had a similar feeling of safety and protection for his profession as well. My opinion is that all parties in that [enforcement] scenario benefit.

Given that and the amount of road travel I do, I recently purchased a video/audio recorder (built in GPS function also) for my car. Great idea, and has a dual effect of keeping my speed in check, but should an accident occur, I have more than witness testimony to rely upon. While not yet available for the individual, I know several limo operators who receive as much as a 25% discount for having such cameras in their cars.

The incident which convinced me to purchase was my witnessing of an auto accident, in which of 10 potential witness vehicles, I was the only one to stop. I was able to verbally describe in detail to the police what happened saving them hours of guesswork, but had a video been available, there would have been no questions to ask.

Best regards,
Andy Burnette