Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:46:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Harvey Silverglate" <harvey () harveysilverglate com>
Date: January 14, 2010 9:37:19 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

Dave,
        A while ago I did an article on this problem for the Massachusetts
Lawyers Weekly (attached), pointing out the anomaly created by a foolish
decision by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. That inspired the
local bar association, working with the ACLU of Massachusetts, to work on
corrective legislation that would exempt, from the recording ban, the
recording of public officials in the course of the performance of their
official duties. That legislation has not yet gone anywhere, but we're still
working on it.
                                        Harvey Silverglate