Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:03:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Timothy Lyons <lyons () geekcq com>
Date: January 14, 2010 11:39:06 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "David S. Isenberg (isen)" <isen () isen com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

Actually you can video record anyone, (almost) anywhere in MA with no
ramification, it's once you record audio without permission the
problems begin.

I did a stint as an Investigator for a local firm a long time back and
there was absolutely no restriction on video recording, but we always
ensured the microphone was disabled to prevent any legal snafu's.  I
believe this law goes back to the late 60's when there were issues
with P.I.'s making secret audio recordings of subjects; however, I
could be mistaken.

--Tim