Interesting People mailing list archives

re Internet implies (only) a computer? (was: Case closed: why most of USA lacks 100Mbps 'Net connections)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:00:17 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Amy Wohl <amy () wohl com>
Date: February 28, 2010 12:45:07 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] re Internet implies (only) a computer? (was: Case closed: why most of USA lacks 100Mbps 'Net connections)

The world will get its Internet connections not through PC’s (in the majority) but by smaller and less expensive handheld devices (think SmartPhones and their increasingly cheaper children). We are alrea dy at the point where about half of the world connects to the Intern et by something other than a PC.

We need to start thinking about the implications of this and what we should be doing in the US both to get more Internet connectivity to people who don’t use PC’s (for whatever reason) and to think about the business models US companies should be considering.

Amy D. Wohl

Editor, Amy Wohl's Opinions

40 Old Lancaster Road, #608

Merion, Station, PA 19066