Interesting People mailing list archives

Pentagon Ignores the Warnings of 'Splice' and 'Jurassic Park' in Breeding Artificial Life

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:19:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: February 28, 2010 1:28:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Pentagon Ignores the Warnings of 'Splice' and 'Jurassic Park' in Breeding Artificial Life

At 08:04 AM 2/28/2010, Christine Fall wrote:
In its 2011 budget, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has allocated $6 million for BioDesign, a project to create artificial life. The unclassified document doesn't say how the new life-forms will be used, but I'm guessing they won't be making biofuels or absorbing greenhouse gases. More likely, the agency is aiming for Moreau's ungodly brand of "divine human."

Here's what we know: they want to develop "a robust understanding of the collective mechanisms that contribute to cell death," so as to "enable a new generation of regenerative cells that could ultimately be programmed to live indefinitely." This could lead to one badass super-soldier.

Christine needs to watch more documentaries, and fewer summer blockbusters. DARPA has interests across a spectrum of biological and biologically-inspired areas; I suspect that bioengineered humans (certainly "badass super-soldiers") don't make their highest priority list, if only because of the huge lag time and unlikelihood that the human embryo you tinker with today won't get sidelined off to a career in theatre or hedge-fund management. Things that do would probably include artificial blood (to boost the availability of blood for transfusion, since firefights produce patients at bursty rates) and sensors, e.g., they've got a RealNose project to replicate the capabilities of dogs' noses: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090213172533.htm

Now, if DARPA funding solved questions of cell death, I'm sure applications would be found everywhere... it'd be fantastic to imagine human brains never suffering from age, if not "learning to learn" at the rate of a child even into one's 100s... but again, that's not singularly relevant to "badass super-soldiers."

Actually, given the current (and likely increased future) aversion to any combat deaths, I think the Pentagon's long-term betting has still got to be on robots, both human-in-the-loop and autonomous.

As a former intelligence officer, I also suspect that cell-death interests relate to sensor longevity... just as the Pentagon is funding research into power scavenging to allow sensors to be powered without some combat team HALOing in to put in new Duracells every few months, they'd like bio-based sensors and systems to keep running indefinitely, after they're deployed. Maybe even reproduce, so that little Sensor Jr. can augment Dad in keeping an eye/ear/ tentacle on Osama's hidey-hole.

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.