Interesting People mailing list archives

Official Gmail Blog: A new Buzz start-up experience based on your feedback

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:19:53 -0500

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-buzz-start-up-experience-based-on.html

"We've heard your feedback loud and clear, and since we launched Google Buzz four days ago, we've been working around
the clock to address the concerns you've raised. Today, we wanted to let you know about a number of changes we'll be
making over the next few days based on all the feedback we've received.

First, auto-following. With Google Buzz, we wanted to make the getting started experience as quick and easy as
possible, so that you wouldn't have to manually peck out your social network from scratch. However, many people just
wanted to check out Buzz and see if it would be useful to them, and were not happy that they were already set up to
follow people. This created a great deal of concern and led people to think that Buzz had automatically displayed the
people they were following to the world before they created a profile.

On Thursday, after hearing that people thought the checkbox for choosing not to display this information publicly was
too hard to find, we made this option more prominent. But that was clearly not enough. So starting this week, instead
of an auto-follow model in which Buzz automatically sets you up to follow the people you email and chat with most,
we're moving to an auto-suggest model. You won't be set up to follow anyone until you have reviewed the suggestions and
clicked "Follow selected people and start using Buzz."'

snip