Interesting People mailing list archives

re Good Question -- FBI avoids warrant by having TSA search computer at airport

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:41:46 -0400

Begin forward

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
Date: April 19, 2010 11:38:03 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Good Question -- FBI avoids warrant by having TSA search computer at airport

[For IP]

Ironically, many companies have now adopted policies *requiring* TPM chips on their laptops so that they can run
drive encryption software. While this is an effective measure against laptop data theft, one of the driving forces
behind this policy shift seems to be protecting proprietary information at border crossings. Less a concern about the
border guards themselves (though in some countries that is an issue) as a concern about sloppy laptop disposition for
seized machines.

Turns out that in most countries you are not required to disclose your password. But if you don't, it can take months
or years before they get around to returning your laptop. That is: if you get it back at all.

Because the laptop may not be returned, a lot of people have turned to the cloud for backup. Ironically, this lets
them avoid carrying anything controversial across the border checkpoint - they can always re-connect and re-fetch
from the other side.

Jonathan