Interesting People mailing list archives

Speaking of passwords ...

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:40:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: April 19, 2010 11:50:35 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Speaking of passwords ...

Apache.org cracked with brute-force   [From RISKS Digest]
--------
"Leave it to big organizations to allow something this massive to occur
un-noticed. It's why we have the stupid PCI standards we have today that do
nothing but take the time out of businesses that always played by the
security rules while the big guys were careless. There's a lot of blame and
fingerpointing from who-ever wrote this but all the blame and fingerpointing
should be pointing right at Apache. This attack had nothing to do with
Linux, Slicehost, or whatever else is thrown in to tell a story. Who doesn't
block brute force attacks in 2010? Who doesn't use real password encryption?
Its mindblowing, but im not surprised the big guys always make a muck of
things and then the little guys are stuck dealing with the aftermath."
 https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_org_04_09_2010#comments