Interesting People mailing list archives

Enabling Markets (re: "Hijacking")

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:11:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: April 12, 2010 10:37:08 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Enabling Markets (re: "Hijacking")

Dave [for IP, if you wish]--

Should a firm engage in deception of some sort (whether this alleged redirection/"hijacking" rises to the level of fraud is another issue), they are taking advantage of a well-known market failure: information asymmetry, in which the producer knows quite a bit more about its product/service than the customer does, and may use that additional knowledge for nefarious purposes. Consumer protection laws, lemon laws, the Federal Trade Commission, Health Dept restaurant inspectors, FDA regulations, all are government interventions designed to solve or alleviate this information asymmetry, which only in special circumstances will the market itself correct. There are often other solutions to information asymmetry problems (certifying private agencies, such as Good Housekeeping, JD Powers, for example), but sometimes government intervention to ensure transparency and disclosure is required to assure the proper workings of the competitive market.

Dave Farber and I have come out very forcefully in our two recent papers in favor of transparency and disclosure not only in the broadband ISP market but in all Internet markets (yes, including application and content providers), if necessary by gov't regulation. We are believers in the power of markets, but fully understand that intervention may be necessary in the event of a market failure such as information asymmetry.

FYI, the two papers are "Innovation in the Wireless Ecosystem", http://ijoc.org/ojs/index.php/ijoc/article/view/670/388 and "The Open Internet" http://ijoc.org/ojs/index.php/ijoc/article/view/727/411 , both published in the International Journal of Communications, and submitted as Comments to the FCC in related proceedings.