Interesting People mailing list archives

relying-party, Re: Enabling Markets (re: "Hijacking")

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:41:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () nma com>
Date: April 12, 2010 3:02:46 PM EDT
To: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com >, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: relying-party, Re: [IP] Enabling Markets (re: "Hijacking")

[Dave: please use this better formatted version, if possible]

Dear Gerry, Dave, and IP'ers:

Thank you for your posting, which I thought was illuminative, and the
papers' links. The "information asymmetry" model looks very powerful
when applied to understand market failure modes, and how to help prevent
them.

As my example below shows, the "transparency and disclosure" principles
that you and Dave mention are sometimes not possible, so the
"information asymmetry" cannot be reduced by these remedies alone. We
need more.

In addition to "transparency and disclosure", perhaps current, accepted,
general legal principles could help, and reinforce them as well.

Specifically, the "relying party" provisions of the US uniform commercial
code could be more broadly applied to help consumers -- and even more
powerfully when "transparency and disclosure" principles are not used or
are not even possible.

For example, when, as a consumer, I purchase a new car, I accept the car in bona fide that it would be safe to drive according to the dealership declarations and the owner's manual instructions. Therefore, I become a
relying-party to both the car manufacturer and the dealership, as to
their representations of the vehicle's safety and operation. My position
as a relying-party is also due to considerations that they are the
well-known experts in that cars' technology (eg, a hybrid Toyota Prius)
and that their representations are either hard or impossible for me to
verify as a consumer.

As a relying-party, I am called to trust not only that the vehicle would work as described in the owner's manual but also that the vehicle design
was done with care and taking into account faults and operational
conditions that are known or even just foreseeable for anyone expert in
the art, such as the car manufacturer and the dealership.

And I  drive the car based on that trust. I cannot apply the
"transparency and disclosure" principles in this case. The "information asymmetry" is so high that I many not even know (even under court order,
as recent Toyota legal cases show) what went wrong, if it does.

But, on driving, I see that the Toyota Priu's bumpers are simply too low
on the ground, so they frequently scrape even the already low curbs on
frontal parking, and normal road depressions in California city streets,
which will cause me cost to repair. I also see that (in a potential
emergency) shifting to neutral will take 2 long seconds to actually
happen, and trying to switch the engine off will take at least 3.2 long
seconds as well, from the moment I press the button to the moment the
engine is off.  And neither will ever happens if the car's computer
hangs, as both actions are not directly wired but read and controlled by
the car's computer. Now, this would all be abnormal situations, that a
driver would not expect to find in a car designed by experts.

So, when the trust asked for in a relying-party situation is broken, a
relying-party claim should be possible -- even though I have not seen
that used yet in the Toyota case. Would it help, with something as
simple as badly designed bumpers, that make the car look cool and sell
better ...but is costly for the car's owner to upkeep? Would it help
with life-threating faults, as not being able to stop a run away car
engine before 3.2 seconds? How about other cases?

Best regards,
Ed Gerck
ed () gerck com (personal opinion)