Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: must read Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:52:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dean F. Sutherland" <dfsuther () cs cmu edu>
Date: April 11, 2010 11:05:43 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: must read Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

For IP, if you think it's relevant...

I must take issue with George Ou's comment! There's actually no FUNDAMENTAL reason why C and C++ "run a lot faster than the other higher level languages." In fact, the higher level languages provide the opportunity for substantially improved performance -- if the compilers make good use of the additional semantic information that could be available to them.

Back when I worked as an optimizing compiler engineer, our Ada compiler routinely provided better code than any C or C++ compiler for the same targets -- including our own C++ compiler! Better code, in this context, means either "same size, but much faster" or "same speed, but much smaller" or "moderately smaller AND moderately faster" depending on optimization settings. The key advantage provided by Ada was that its stronger type checking and its tighter semantic model provided additional information to the optimizer. An optimizer that was prepared to USE that additional information could beat the pants off one that only had C or C++ to work with. And we routinely did.

By comparison, if your compiler's optimizer is primarily focussed on C and C++ (I'm thinking of GCC in the late '90s here!) you'll never see this effect.

Dean