Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: must read Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:09:03 -0400

I agree with Spaf. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: April 10, 2010 6:04:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: must read Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

From: George Ou <George.Ou () digitalsociety org>

I’m not a fan of Apple and it’s obvious they’re extremely closed, but I must point out that C and C++ run a lot faster than the other higher level languages. uTorrent for example was writte n in very tight C code and it took over the BitTorrent market in a matter of months because people value tight/fast code.

This is precisely why we have such severe security, privacy and quality problems -- people prefer to get unsafe and potentially incorrect results quickly, rather than correct and secure results a little more slowly.