Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cory Doctorow, You Are a Consumer, Too

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:16:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: April 29, 2010 3:46:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Cory Doctorow, You Are a Consumer, Too

Dave [probably not worth posting to IP, but feel free if you like; just my views on terminology]--

FYI; I agree that "consumer" is not good; it signifies someone who buys like an automaton whatever is put out there, and is not actively involved. "Customer", on the other hand, signifies someone who is active in the purchase process, to the point of interacting with the seller. "User" implies a very passive role in consumption and purchasing; when I drive a car (or buy a car) I don't think of myself as a "user", but as a driver. I'm a user when I use the men's room. I know that "user" has a long history in the tech world, but it grates me the wrong way.

Similarly, I don't like the medical profession referring to me as a "patient", as if I'm an object to be practiced on. In all of these contexts, I vastly prefer the term "customer".

"Citizen" signifies an individual's civic role within the state and their rights and obligations within civil society; this is a much different role from "customer" or "user".

Gerry