Interesting People mailing list archives

How compromised Facebook logins are already being used

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:08:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rob portil <Rob () OrbitalWeb com>
Date: April 29, 2010 12:35:48 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: How compromised Facebook logins are already being used

The email I got yesterday (below) shows how hackers/spammers can use these hacked logins.

I got this message from a friend on Facebook (yes, he is actually a Facebook friend and the email did come from
Facebook).

It turns out Ken had nothing to do with it. Spammers had his login and posted this message to many of his friends.

If you go to the link (I altered it so someone wouldn’t go there accidently from this email) what you find is a
YouTube lookalike site that appears to be loading a video, then stops and says you need a newer version of Flash and
attempts to download an executable file.

Being in the development business I knew my Flash software was current and know better than to let any site run an
executable.

But it would potentially seem plausible to a non-tech person that their friend wanted them to see this video and that
they didn’t have the current version of Flash and that they should allow the download.

This approach would potentially get even those with updated systems and virus protection to download and run
executables and get them into the botnet system.

Rob Portil

Orbital Web

408-256-3630

Rob () OrbitalWeb com