Interesting People mailing list archives

Cory Doctorow, You Are a Consumer, Too

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:37:27 -0400

BTW I HATE the term consumer !!!!!!!! djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: April 3, 2010 7:41:02 PM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Cory Doctorow, You Are a Consumer, Too

Cory Doctorow, You Are a Consumer, Too

I saw a-the-Rally Fighter, an open source car in Austin. This is what
the "finished" interior looked like, more or less. That's what Cory
Doctorow wants you to drive.

Okay, not really. I can't be too mean to Cory. I've got too much
respect for him. He's plucky, and the world needs pluck. In fact, I'm
basically writing this to him, in public, because he's so sharp it
pains me when I disagree with him so vehemently.

But when I read his post, "Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you
shouldn't, either)", my head swells with sadness and I leak confusion
from every orifice.

I don't like DRM. I think it's a fool's game.

I don't prefer a closed ecosystem for applications without a way to
unwall the garden

I don't like that it's illegal to install a different operating
system on an iPad.

These are legal issues. They are issues that should be fixed by
legislation and by judges. Donate to the EFF, because they put the
pressure in the right places. It's money well spent.

But you know what won't change these things? Refusing to buy an iPad,
the stage for some of the most exciting software of the last decade.
Nor will using Linux on a Lenovo laptop. It definitely won't help to
sneer at everyone who is excited about the iPad, warts and all, and
explain to us that we're dupes. And it is a sneer. It's talking down
to hundreds of thousands of people who probably already know your
position by heart. You may not read it like that, Cory, but I'm
telling you that's how it comes off.

http://gizmodo.com/5508286/cory-doctorow-you-are-a-consumer-too

Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either)
Cory Doctorow at 5:23 AM April 2, 2010
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html