Interesting People mailing list archives

"the net"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:20:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter H Salus <peter () pedant com>
Date: September 11, 2009 14:20:06 EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>, John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  "the net"

I happen to agree with both Steve and John.  But the problem is not
merely the "arc" that Steve describes, but also the failed attempts
-- as well as the fact that we can regress as much as we want to on
a purely conceptual level.

Thus, George Stibitz was the first to execute remote calculation,
from the AMA meeting at Dartmouth to Bell Labs (a Teletype
terminal to the Bell Model 1 Complex Calculator) via a telegraph
connection -- September 10-13, 1940.

Larry Roberts and Thomas Marill connected an SDS AN/FSQ-32
in Santa Monica to the TX-2 at Lincoln Lab via a 1200 bps phone
link in 1963.  Certainly transmission between heterogeneous
machines.

And the work of Davies and Scantlebury at the NPL in the UK
preceded the ARPAnet, despite the self-advertisement of
Kleinrock.

"Who's on first?" is not an appropriate game.

Everyone gets some credit.  No one gets *the* credit.

Peter

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Buy my "The Daemon, the Gnu, and the Penguin" (ISBN 978-0-9790342-3-7)
available from amazon.com and amazon.ca

       Peter H. Salus, Ph.D.
       211 St. Patrick St., #1001
       Toronto, ON M5T 2Y9
           CANADA
   peter () netpedant com         +1 416 408-1728