Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "the net"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:47:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Date: September 11, 2009 1:35:35 PM EDT
To: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Cc: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] "the net"

On Sep 11, 2009, at 7:41 AM, John Day wrote:

Steve,

I am really trying to understand this. Because I think the major insights of this field often go unnoticed. But I don't quite understand what the "dramatic breakthrough" was. To me it always seemed that connecting the various networks that had been built together was the "logical progression." The next obvious thing to do. The idea of using layers to move from hardware specific to hardware independent was well-established in Operating Systems by 1970 and its application to networks was "obvious." ;-) (Well, we all thought so) We kind of thought in layers for the ARPANet, but it was really CYCLADES that settled us on physical, data link, network and transport, which does make the transition from hardware dependent to independent. (Of course, that view turns out to have been overly simple. The world was more complicated than that.)

Perceptions vary. While it might have seemed obvious to some of us extend the lower layers, there really were significant conceptual, technical and political issues involved. And though layering is a straightforward idea, choosing the layers and getting the details right is considerably trickier than it might seem. ARPA built the Arpanet and kept adding nodes, and it could have easily stopped there. Had it done so, similar sized networks would have sprung up and we probably would have had chaos.

"Dramatic breakthrough" might be more laudatory than you'd choose. I wanted to make the point that the very substantial work on protocols, process and community was and continues to be important, and it transcends the packet forwarding service provided by the lower layers, but I did not want to diminish the importance of the packet forwarding service.

Of course saying and doing it are two entirely different things and there was a lot of work to make it happen. But not what I would call a "breakthrough." For me, a breakthrough is an unexpected result that opens up new vistas. Things like datagrams, or that bounding 3 timers is both necessary and sufficient for reliable data transfer, nothing else required. Breakthroughs are rare.

In one sense I think we went awry someplace. The early Internet discussions were about *internet* protocols operating over network protocols. (One of Vint's early IENs talks about it.) Hence an Interent. Somehow we ended up with internet protocols mainly over data link protocols. Strictly speaking, we have more of a catenet than an internet. (The "Internet" today puts far more constraints on the internal operation of a subnet provider than the ITU ever did. Not some thing that makes me feel good.) I don't know where it happened, but it is clear that an internet would have been more advantageous than the current catenet masquerading as an internet.

Also, what new user applications were developed and deployed in the Internet between the demise of USING in 1974 and the advent of the web? (I consider DNS and SNMP as internal to the network, not user applications.)

As for the 'Net taking root and flourishing where others didn't, be careful. It is far from clear that we can take credit for that. When a vastly overprovisioned facility is made available essentially for free, it is hard for it not to take root. Most of the other efforts were required to make a business case very early usually before they were built. Only the ARPANet and only because it was such a minor part of the DoD budget was able to exist on government subsidies. I fear that when the infatuation wears off, people will realize that the Internet's success has had more to do with protective economic policies than good science and engineering.

There had been several smaller networking projects prior to the Arpanet. I worked on one at UCLA that consumed a substantial amount of money and faltered because of some weaknesses in key personnel plus intramural politics within UCLA.

Overprovisioning is an important idea. Underplaying a venture is often a path to failure. If the Arpanet had depended on 100% cooperation from all of the sites and complete competency and execution from each of those sites, the venture would have been much riskier. Also, BBN's orientation toward very high reliability, though deeply flawed in some respects, was also pivotal in its success. And, of course, embodying the packet forwarding in the IMPs instead of within each host, was also pivotal.

Having it all subsidized was also important. That gave it room the flower on technical merits, not short term ROI.

But I have to admit, that I too refer to the whole thing as "the 'Net" and contribute to promulgating its myths. ;-)

Take care,
John

Begin forwarded message: