Interesting People mailing list archives

"the net"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:19:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Date: September 10, 2009 2:16:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet still reshaping history

For IP.

On Sep 6, 2009, at 1:42 PM, David Farber wrote:

Why do people say the internet is 40 years old. Is the Arpanet the Internet -- I think not. djf

Dave,

Both the "Arpanet" and the "Internet" are two things at the same time. The Arpanet was a single network with uniform set of routers, a single "vendor" (BBN) and a single network operations center (at BBN). At the same time, it was a heterogenous network that connected a diverse of host computers with an open ended and growing set of protocols. The Internet was a dramatic breakthrough on the lower levels -- a diverse set of routers, multiple vendors, multiple operators, operating over multiple media. The work you, Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf, and many others did in the 70s that came to fruition in the 80s created the technical and operational foundation for today's Internet. At the upper layers, the user community, the open protocol architecture and the expansion of applications continued more or less continuously. From this perspective, the Arpanet and Internet are part of a continuous arc. There had been smaller networking attempts prior to the Arpanet, but none took root and flowered the way the Arpanet did. In casual conversation with non-technical people, I find myself using the term "the net" to cover the whole arc.

Steve