Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:54:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Atkinson, Robert" <rca53 () columbia edu>
Date: October 4, 2009 6:21:49 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

“Considering everything we do to foreigners, it seems a completely fair trade.”

What is it exactly we “do” to foreigners? That would be the 40,000,000 plus foreign tourists that will come to the US this year? http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/m-2009-I-001/table1.html This is a “down” year, presumably because of the economic situation: it was 50,000,000 in 2007. Are all these people masochists? Maybe they just like this country. New York City is bursting with foreign tourists, and most probably went through JFK which is a bad place even for US citizens, but no worse than, say, Heathrow.

Bob