Interesting People mailing list archives

Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:12:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabriel Rocha <gabe () seul org>
Date: October 3, 2009 10:32:21 EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

       On Oct 03 2009, David Farber wrote:

|    Begin forwarded message:
|    From: Labmanager <[1]labmanager () gmail com>
|    Date: October 2, 2009 9:50:16 PM EDT
|    To: [2]dave () farber net
|    Subject: Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics
|    [3]http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/chicagos-loss-is-passport-c
|    ontrol-to-blame/
| "Among the toughest questions posed to the Chicago bid team this week in | Copenhagen was one that raised the issue of what kind of welcome foreigners | would get from airport officials when they arrived in this country to attend | the Games. Syed Shahid Ali, an I.O.C. member from Pakistan, in the | question-and-answer session following Chicagos official presentation, | pointed out that entering the United States can be a rather harrowing
|    experience."

The great irony in this is that it isn't an unpleasant experience solely
for foreigners. It is often that flying into the US I am given grief
simply because I don't live in and US, yet am an American. "Why
don't you live in the US?!" is a common question, in a not-at-all
friendly tone. In fact, my wife, who is from New Zealand, tends to
have a less unpleasant experience going through immigration in the
US than I do.

It is unlikely that this will change attitudes at the border, but
it is nice that this kind of thing is recognized and has financial
side effects on such a public scale. --Gabe