Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Entry level pricing" as social policy v2

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 01:14:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: October 2, 2009 10:58:16 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Cc: "'Joshua Tinnin'" <krinklyfig () gmail com>, bob2-39 () bobf frankston com, dave () farber net, lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: "Entry level pricing" as social policy v2

Bob Frankston wrote:
If we have to pay merely to communicate then we aren't serious about the right <http://frankston.com/?n=RightToBeConnected> to communicate - we mustn't
set a price per word.

Last I checked, we're serious about free speech in this country, but megaphones and poster board and blank paper still cost money. So do books, newspapers, and magazines (and their writers, who typically get paid because their editors have set a price per word).

Maybe you're making a rhetorical point for effect, but let's not fall into the trap of agreeing that I have a right to coerce you through taxation to pay for my Internet connection. Especially when the introductory Verizon price is something like $18 a month, I'm not too worried about The Sacred Right To Communicate being lost -- if it costs as much as a single takeout meal at your average Thai restaurant.

-Declan