Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Book-Scanning Pact to Give Libraries a Say in Price - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:53:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Grimmelmann <james () grimmelmann net>
Date: May 21, 2009 5:27:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, brett () lariat net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Google Book-Scanning Pact to Give Libraries a Say in Price - NYTimes.com

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: May 21, 2009 11:04:29 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>

Dave, and everyone:

I am astonished by the entire Google book licensing scheme.

Section 8 of the US Constitution says that I, as an author, am entitled to be granted the exclusive rights to my work for a limited (although constantly expanding) period of time. It does NOT authorize the government to grant rights to that work to any third party. Doing so would not only exceed the powers granted to Congress by the Constitution (and thus be unconstitutional), but would also be an unconstitutional "taking" under the 5th Amendment.

I am astonished that the government would even consider granting to a single corporation -- most especially Google -- the exclusive right to use my works without my consent. I want companies to be able to bid for that right. What's more, given that Google, since its merger with DoubleClick, is the number one source of spyware "cookies" on the Internet and is lobbying in DC to regulate and destroy my business as an ISP, Google is the company to which I would be least likely to agree to license my work.

I'm hardly a big fan of the settlement, but I do need to defend it from some of these charges.

The Constitution doesn't "entitle" authors to anything; it merely authorizes Congress to issue copyrights to authors. If we had no copyrights whatsoever, that would be just as constitutional as the system we have. That system includes plenty of exceptions and rules that "grant rights" to "third part[ies]": section 108 gives of the Copyright Act includes special privileges for libraries, section 115 lets musicians record cover versions, section 116 creates a compulsory license for jukeboxes, and so on. There are plenty more examples, but let's not forget section 512, which grants ISPs like Brett's immunity for transmitting content at the direction of others. The government has plenty of power to shape the contours of copyright to limit the scope of authors' rights; those limitations, by and large, are not takings.

As for the settlement itself, authors and publishers who, like Brett, don't want to license to Google, can opt out of the settlement. (The new deadline is September 4 -- see the official site at http://books.google.com/booksrightsholders/ for more.) Even if they don't do anything by then and later change their minds, they still "exclude" their books from being displayed as part of Google's publishing programs. Brett and those who feel as he does are still able to demand that Google and other distributors bid for the right to distribute their works.

Where the settlement gets problematic -- and here, we're probably in agreement -- is when it gets to the "orphan" works, whose copyright owners can't be found. Since they can't be found, a fortiori, they can't object. Google would get a license to sell their books online, and that license would indeed be effectively exclusive. This aspect of the settlement would turn Google into a publisher without competition, without needing to get permission from anyone. That's dangerous for competition, dangerous for authors and publishers, dangerous for libraries, and especially dangerous for readers' privacy and intellectual freedom. The DoJ has started to pay attention to these issues, and Google has started to take steps (such as its recent agreement with Michigan) to address some of them.

James