Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: more on Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:34:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: July 29, 2009 7:31:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Apple

Dave,

Dan makes a valid point and suggests a viable course of action that Apple could conceivably pursue, and tht's scary!

I've not been a fan of the iPhone for the non-removable battery aspect in particular. That said, is it just me or are Apple's actions on the iPhone starting to make the more clueful users sit up and realize that Apple can arbitrarly brick your phone, delete apps, prevent apps, and turn your iPhone into essentially a walled garden where not only is Apple the 'gatekeeper' for anything you might want to run on the device, but also create a situation where the user is unable able to trust their device to always be as they expect it to be?

Put it in pre-iPhone perspective: if Apple suddenly decided that Firefox was 'dangerous' or 'immoral' on my OSX system -- or saw it as "duplicating functionality" in the Apple-provided Safari browser already on my system-- and deleted it w/o my knowledge, you can bet I'd be moved to another OS before the day was done!

I wonder how many IP'ers are feeling a growing sense of scepticism about Apple's motives and conduct in many things related to the iPhone.

-rick
...still iPhone free and not wanting one either