Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: more on Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:25:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew W. Donoho" <awd () DDG com>
Date: July 30, 2009 9:36:32 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Apple

For IP:

On Jul 29, 2009, at 3:37 PM, David Farber wrote:

Wait until they do their much-rumored new tablet. This will be a big test of how evil they plan to be. Will it use the iPhone OS or something like it, and officially only allow apps from the Apple store? Or will it run the regular MacOS that still includes user choice? The company's trajectory and recent history don't give me much comfort.

We should consider another view from this third party, me. The iRush from developers is an important source of user choice. ('09ers v. 49ers: the only difference is the dirt.) That user application choice is almost exclusively due to the App Store. Without an App Store, small developers like myself and other single proprietor developers have a very tough time getting to market. Let me repeat -- very tough. The App Store is a one stop place for potential customers. One that a small developer could never replicate.

The next complaint is that Apple takes too much cash for their distribution service (30%). My answer is pretty simple: compared to what? Almost every other retail channel takes that much or a larger percentage. A vendor has to get to substantial volumes of product before that retail percentage can be negotiated down to a lower percentage. Try to sell something through Amazon. You'll find a similar or larger percentage. Try writing an app for other subsidized platforms, such as Xbox or Playstation or Wii. The approval process is more onerous and the publishing fee to the platform vendor is large. You then subtract your retail vendor's percentage and you see a larger reduction in developer revenue than from Apple. The business story to other consumer platforms is much worse for small developers.

Finally, the cost to enter the game is extremely low -- a MacBook or a Mac Mini plus an annual $99 developer fee. The only competitively low barrier to development is for Windows. And that requires a copy of a multi-hundred dollar Visual Studio license. Apple's tools, because they are based upon open source technologies plus a custom Mac specific wrapper, is free. Due to the lower cost of Windows systems, it is just about a wash in upfront costs between the two platforms.

The iRush is real. For example, I'm hosting a pro bono iPhone DevCamp in Austin this weekend. It "sold-out" in under 48 hours. A huge number of developers are migrating to this platform. The competing platforms, including Windows Mobile, do not have a comparable developer community. Apple has nurtured a profound and important platform resource. Developers who have apps on both iPhone OS and Android tell me that the relative sales between the platforms is extremely biased towards the iPhone. (That relative ratio is scaled with respect to each platform's population of devices.) Also, because the iPhone market's size is supplemented by the iPod Touch, the iPhone OS's market is over 40 million devices. No other phone has that size of an available developer market with a uniform OS platform. Carriers require special proprietary tweaks that really hurt one's testing budget. That is part of why no other platform has a large developer community. It is just too expensive to deploy on their phones -- even in the same country. An iPhone in Germany, other than the language, is the same platform is the same. The iPhone OS, due to its roots in Mac OS X, has excellent language localization tools.

If app diversity is important to you, then Apple is actually doing the things necessary to promote that diversity.

As to the Apple/AT&T "unholy" alliance, get over it. Every other vendor/carrier have unique, special purpose deals and 2 year contracts. Try buying an Android, Palm Pre or Blackberry phone without a lock-in contract or a significantly higher price for an unlocked phone. If you really want an unlocked iPhone OS device, then buy an iPod Touch.

Furthermore, if you really want to do something that is very good for consumers, then promote a law to require carriers to unlock phones after the subsidy contract expires and requires the option to allow buying an unsubsidized phone.

Anon,
Andrew
Andrew W. Donoho
Donoho Design Group
awd () DDG com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)

"To take no detours from the high road of reason and social responsibility."
   -- Marcus Aurelius