Interesting People mailing list archives

two messages (read both please) on Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:33:22 -0400

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: July 29, 2009 4:44:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:  Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

Dave -

Here's something on wireless entitlement, for IP if you wish.

The reactions to Apple's arguments against jailbreaking the iPhone display remarkable ignorance about how wireless networks are designed and operated. The assertion that the iPhone is no different in principle from the Princess phone is downright silly. The Carterfone regime worked because the PSTN's handset interface is inherently quite limited - 3 Khz of analog bandwidthm, a simple dialing protocol, and a simple ring protocol are all it contains. The interface between a 2G/ 3G device and the network includes three different network protocols, mutiple QoS profiles, a number of power management protocols, and a host of control protocols. Not all devices implement these functions the same way, so the argument that "it works on Android, so it has to work on the iPhone" is nonsense.

Wireless network interfaces differ in terms of which functions are burned-in to hardware and which are implemented in software. To cite an example that's pretty well known, the Atheros Wi-Fi chips have a lot of knobs for power-level tuning implmented in software. Each device is calibrated during the manufacturing process and adjustments are made at system init time to compensate for manufacturing variations in the analog section. The open-source Madwifi driver for NetBSD and Linux has traditionally shipped with a binary-only version of the tuning code because adjusting these levels too high violates FCC regulations. The binary code can still be hacked, but there's a due diligence thing going on about making the hack too easy.

Android may very well be designed in such a way as to require wireless interface hardware that can't be hacked in such a way as to bring down the network or to flood the local tower. If that's the case, the software can afford to be more open than Apple's, which is apparently designed in such a way that software developers have more access to critical parts of the wireless protocol implementation. You'd think that people who like software-defined radios would appreciate the fact that such systems can be manipulated for ill as well as for good.

The EFF's arguments assume that the hardware underneath Android works the same way that the iPhone hardware does. This may or may not be the case, but the EFF's argument that "As far as I know, nothing like that has ever happened” is “more FUD than truth.” Hardly anybody has an Android phone, so it's not an interesting target for black hats.

Richard Bennett

Begin forwarded message: