Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:50:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: July 29, 2009 3:31:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

This reminds me of the rationale put forward by AT&T in the Carterfone case. (I don't think the Hush-a-Phone case involved bringing the entire world to a crashing halt, but perhaps someone who was closer to that earlier case would know).

If this were actually true - that a single iPhone hack could bring down the world - then we are doomed already. Frankly, I would be happy to testify based on facts on the Carterfone side of this ridiculous argument. But more importantly, the "new AT&T" and its lawyers (and now Apple) would do well to see how well that argument prevented the catastrophe that hit AT&T due to Judge Green's breakup of the "old AT&T". (well, it was a catastrophe to the old AT&T, but served the world quite well, IMO).

Monopolies with huge bank accounts to buy Congress's attention will always try these ridiculous scaremongering arguments. It's the corporate version of scare the people. (remember that 802.11 was going to cause planes to crash, and even had some "experts" who claimed that planes *had* crashed, before we got the latest news that the corporate wifi provider market was locked up by a politically connected provider or two?)