Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:36:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: July 28, 2009 10:47:40 PM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () attrition org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

Way to spread the FUD, Apple. Time to ratchet up that Reality Distortion Field.....

-- rick

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/jailbreak/

The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic” cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and abroad if iPhone owners are permitted to legally jailbreak their shiny wireless devices — that’s what Apple claims.

< - >

By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result.

“The technological protection measures were designed into the iPhone precisely to prevent these kinds of pernicious activities, and if granted, the jailbreaking exemption would open the door to them,” Apple added.

Threat Level had no idea the iPhone was so dangerous. We’re gratified that Apple locked down this potential weapon of mass disruption before hackers could unleash cybarmageddon. This also explains why Apple rejected the official Google Voice App for the iPhone this week. We thought it was because Google Voice posed a threat to AT&T’s exclusivity deal with Apple. Now we know it threatened national security.

< - >