Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 03:51:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: February 19, 2009 11:54:25 PM EST
To: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>, jdakin () gmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

From: David Akin <jdakin () gmail com>
Date: February 16, 2009 8:30:13 PM EST

Finally Markoff quotes Spafford. I think Spafford qualifies as a disinterested observer. To be honest, Spaf could be blowing smoke for all I know as I don't have anywhere close to the ability to be able to evaluate his background [http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/narrate.html ]. But looking through his c.v., I can't see anything that jumps out that ought to force a journalist to challenge him on any perceived bias.

I don't think any academic or researcher can be completely unbiased when it comes to a question that might involve research! If there are things that can be improved or questions to be answered, we could benefit from funding from companies and government agencies.

That said, I don't currently get funding for research on network protocols or changes.

As to John's intent in quoting me, well, I do work in this arena and have over 2 decades experience in security, and I've been quoted frequently in the press. Thus, it wouldn't be that out of line to seek me out for an opinion.

And Spafford does not suggest that he has been misquoted or had his views taken out of context. But it's clear from Gene's posts here and today on his own blog that he has some different conclusions when it comes to the issue of solving the problem of Internet security. In the piece, though, Markoff seems to bring Spafford in to the piece to try to back up the observations made by others.

John quoted me accurately. He also properly represented to me the story he was writing when he obtained that quote. He did use only a small portion of our conversation (common in my experience across many journalists). John has interviewed me before for stories and he has always accurately quoted me, he has kept "off-the record" comments private, and he has not attributed opinions to me that I did not express. I didn't read this article as having me endorsing any particular opinion for or against the main question posed in the title.

My views are that I do not believe that the Internet needs to be "redesigned" as I do not believe that is the main part of the problem (you can see my blog post for more: http://snipurl.com/new-internet). Some protocols could be changed/improved, but that might be possible to do incrementally. However, changes that fix some of the problems may exacerbate others so long as we try to have the same set of mechanisms support so many, often incompatible, models of communication.

--spaf