Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 19:45:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Eugene H. Spafford" <spaf () me com>
Date: February 15, 2009 10:49:50 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

Needless to say, I agree with David Akin.

Furthermore, the Stanford effort is laudable but won't be enough even if it succeeds. We continue to run weak systems at the endpoints. It harkens back to my oft-quoted analogy about armored cars and park benches -- secured transport is not sufficient if the endpoints are weak. Actually, securing the transport can make things worse by making the operators of the end-points think they are better off than they are!