Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 05:32:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko () piuha net>
Date: February 16, 2009 2:20:37 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: huitema () microsoft com, jdakin () gmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   NY Times: Time to build a new Internet?

Echoing what Christian said, I think we have some real problems and some of those are due to the architecture. Research on clean slate architecture is very important because it can help us find better ways to do things. My personal belief is that some of those new approaches might eventually end up being implemented in the current Internet as opposed to being a part of a complete overhaul.

That being said, I think we need to be careful about expectations. My mother knows the Internet has a number of problems, but she does not know how to fix it. Research on new Internet needs to go beyond this. Simply stating that we need a new Internet is not enough. We need designs that would actually work better. Many of the well known Internet problems are actually quite difficult, and its not clear that the current research efforts have yet solved them. For instance, can we fully eliminate the spam problem, if we still need to be able to receive e-mail from previously unknown people? Some of the problems are also not just technical. I suspect the routing scalability problem will never be solved without changing the economic models that have led to the peering contracts that we currently have; people will keep adding entries to the routing table if there is no pushback with economic impacts. And I agree with David Akin and others that its not clear that we want to jump to the other end of the openess vs. security scale. Clearly, there are people who want extreme openness and people who want extremely secure and closed networks. The crux is being able to balance accountability and privacy in the right way. And what authority decides what is a part of the "gated community", on a planet where even the different governments have very different ideas about what is acceptable? I can image issues that would make the network neutrality problems pale in comparison.

Jari Arkko