Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wait, Wait... The Kindle Swindle?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:43:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb () guppylake com>
Date: February 28, 2009 8:52:15 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Wait, Wait... The Kindle Swindle?

Couldn't resist one comment...

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 27, 2009 4:31:10 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Wait, Wait... The Kindle Swindle?

Remember that the record industry had to fight to establish the principle that playing a record was not the same as performing sheet music. Fortunately we didn’t confuse the issue by having an automatic sheet music player as we can today (like the book reader). Would such a machine owe a royalty each time it preformed?

Actually, we did have such a machine -- I think you've just described the player piano, which has had its own copyright battles:

        http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise17.html
        http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2008/95/player_piano_rolls

Incidentally, in tracking down those links I was totally astonished to learn that the last piano roll factory was shut down just last month:

        http://odeo.com/episodes/23864527-The-Last-Player-Piano-Roll-Soundcheck-Monday-12-January-2009

This gives me hope that my great, great, great, great, great grandchildren might live to see the retirement of the last COBOL programmer. -- Nathaniel