Interesting People mailing list archives

25 Years after ATTv1 -- it's not good vs evil -- it's Telecom vs the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:01:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 27, 2009 10:59:23 AM EST
To: <oia () lists bway net>, <dave () farber net>
Cc: "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: 25 Years after ATTv1 -- it's not good vs evil -- it's Telecom vs the Internet

25 years ago ATT was spooked into reconfigure itself into mini-bells which have since re-formed but not reformed.

We need to remember that 25 years ago ATT was TPC – The Phone Company. Reconfiguring ATT was reconfiguring an industry. There was no real distinction between telecom and telcos, AKA carriers including cablecos and other service providers.

Today the situation is very different and this confusion matters.

Many people on this list are trying to fix the telcos because they are evil. I am not.

It doesn’t matter to me whether they are evil or not because that’s moot and undefined. Corporation are supposed to serve their shareholders. We can argue philosophically about this issue but it’s moot because we are not facing a problem in good vs bad behavior.

We are dealing with a structural problem due to the very definition of telecommunications. Today’s companies are only symptoms of this larger problem and are defined by the constrains of having to monetize the path. And that’s the structural problem.

The power of the Internet comes from our ability to create solutions without having to negotiate the use of a particular path and because we benefit from having a negligible incremental cost for each application. This has worked very well because it has liberated us from the needs to negotiate for each element of the path based on each owner’s assigned value.

By necessity such valuations must be perverse and fanciful because they don’t having any meaning in isolation. This is the structural problem.

The need to maintain scarcity in order to maintain value in isolation is another face of this structural problem.

The ATT system worked because the TPC owned so much of the infrastructure it was able to treat it as a whole and we accepted whatever models they used to achieve a net profit. Today we have the Internet as an example of the damage done by models which have created perverse incentives: · They have created a Byzantine system of complex billing systems that have sucked hundreds of billions of dollars out of the economy in billable events. · They have prevented the price/performance improvements seen everywhere else in networking and computing. · They have denied us the benefits of essentially zero marginal cost. These benefits include basic things like medical monitoring that could save lives. We can’t assume connectivity public services, education. · They have forced us to depend on the carriers so we can’t create our own solutions even in emergencies leaving us enfeebled. · They have given us a funding model which is purposefully designed to create scarcity and have made us pay for very expensive redundant facilities just to have a physical embodiments of the accounting abstractions.

As long as we think it’s about bad companies we will continue to try to cajole them into giving us more of the same. And we will still be in the thrall of TPC.

The Internet is a very different concept – it’s about creating our own solutions and doing our own networking. We can view the entire telecom infrastructure is just an enabling technology that must be funded as shared infrastructure.

But unlike the TPC days it is not a single thing owned by a single company. Here Ted Vail did real harm by demanding total control of it all because he said that without him we couldn’t communicate.

We must unwind the TPC and own local infrastructure locally and recognize it facilitates creating our own solutions. It’s copper, fiber and radios and not services like a phone call.

25 years after ATT we have to recognize that the problem is not a company but the idea that we can’t do our own communicating nor our own networking.

Divestiture II must address the structural problem and separate the facilities from what we do with them. It would return hundreds of billions of dollars to the economy while creating the opportunity for trillions in new value.

We may have overthrown King ATT but the new King Telecom is the same thing all over again.