Interesting People mailing list archives

Hub to get early look at next-level Web link ... AKA, the past all over again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:28:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 13, 2009 3:25:44 PM EDT
To: "Prof. David J. J Farber" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>, <oia () lists bway net>, "Hiawatha Bray" <h_bray () globe com> Subject: Hub to get early look at next-level Web link ... AKA, the past all over again

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2009/08/13/in_test_of_4g_network_hub_to_get_early_look_at_next_level_web_link/
Perhaps the headline is most telling, note that it refers to the Web rather than the Internet. But that’s not the reporter’s decision. Still, it is a reminder of the basic confusion between infrastructure and services and we all suffer from the lack of this vital infrastructure. It’s similar to Hiawatha’s recent story in the Boston Globe Magazine about Brian Worobey’s effort to provide ambient connectivity to Boston. It was framed in terms of being another service network rather than an opportunity to provide basic infrastructure. Shouldn’t the city of Boston want connectivity for its own use – like fire monitoring? The idea of a separate network for each purpose is like building a separate road system for each purpose.

I’m reminded of reading the ISDN tariff filings in the 1980’s – the basic pricing strategy was to charge a high price for high valued applications. The claim was that the carriers could do that because they could find people willing to pay. One result was the utter failure of ISDN in the US – people instead we stayed with dial up analog modems that could take advantage of the zero marginal cost of local infrastructure. It’s where innovation went to the point that dialup became competitive with ISDN by the late 1990’s.

The pricing scheme continues in the tradition of what I call “lottery pricing”. If I might want to get one high speed connection during a month I need to enroll in a multiyear 3G plan today. But it doesn’t make sense to charge for the bits because the number of bits varies so much. Ultimately the problem is that we have a high (I argue unnecessarily high) capital cost that is amortized as per an arbitrary business model. Yet if we simply paid for it once we’d have abundant capacity at zero marginal cost, AKA infrastructure.

The failure to provide infrastructure becomes apparent if we think about the inability to communicate emergency services without having a cellular plan. Some enable cellular systems to support calls to E911 as a special case even if you don’t have an account but you still have the right equipment and not be in a dead zone. But would a communicating pacemaker doing status reports qualify for such a service? How will you “prove” the particular call is vital if you are communicating directly with a monitoring service of your choice rather than being relayed through the obsolescent E911 human relays? Of course I’ve already pointed out other problems – such as the inability to extend coverage. Perhaps femtocells could’ve helped but they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Note that the news story on the pacemakers mentions that such devices have their own frequency – again a frequency for each application? The so-called Smart-Grid is another example. Something as simple as reading values from meters so we can manage energy within our homes and so that the companies supplying power (be it gas or electricity) can measure using should be trivially easy. Yet each such system seems to require a separate infrastructure. Why?

In theory shouldn’t wireless connectivity be less expensive than wired given that we don’t need to run fibers hither and yon and we don’t need to run fibers to each and every apartment in an MDU (Multi-unit- dwelling, AKA apartment house)? So why isn’t this technology competitive? Why is wireless connectivity treated as a premium service? If Verizon owns both fibers and radio towers why not treat them as a single unit and greatly reduces costs while greatly increasing capacity?

The problem is in the funding or billing model – trying to contain the bits into billable paths. You can still do that by making wired/ wireless common infrastructure by using PPoE – Point to Point over Ethernet or over any infrastructure (PPoX?). PPoE was created so that you could get wires from your phone or cable company and use that to reach a connection to the Internet provided by another company.

Using PPOE you can get billing from a provider while also getting the benefits of a common infrastructure. MDUs can avoid the expensive of multiple “home-run” connections and instead share a common network while tenants can choose any carrier they want. But PPoE failed because it didn’t make sense to have two Internets – one that you just used to get to another. Perhaps a bigger reason is that if you follow the implications it becomes apparent that the common infrastructure is the Internet. Today the carriers spend billions and billions and billions just to give the appearance that they are providing a valuable service – the Internet out there.

Once we realize that the common infrastructure, or bit commons, is not just the Web but the Internet as infrastructure then we would use it for municipal services too and save a lot more money while providing far better services. Instead of a rickety E911 system we’d have real support before emergencies become emergencies. Your pacemaker would alert your physician before you are stricken – prevention and monitoring would have a major impact on the cost of healthcare while improving the quality of life. And that’s just one of many examples.

So why do we insist on doing harm by maintaining a system that harks back the heyday of railroads -- a system that gives carriers veto power over innovation and limits our opportunities? Why indeed? In fact it’s worse – the more I read about the so-called Smart Grid the more I find it strange since it seems to be more about building yet another fiber infrastructure and very little about energy management.

No wonder I find a story about the future glories of being beholden to providers so depressing. 4G – another generation held hostage?