Interesting People mailing list archives

Government 2.0 Summit in DC Sept 9-10

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:30:52 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim O'Reilly <tim () oreilly com>
Date: August 13, 2009 8:36:39 PDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Patrick Dirden <pdirden () oreilly com>
Subject: Government 2.0 Summit in DC Sept 9-10

Dave -

I've organized a conference on "Government 2.0" to be held in DC on September 9-10. See http://gov2summit.com for details. (I've also added some additional information below.)

As I've done with past O'Reilly conferences, I'd like to offer five free passes to the first IP readers to respond by email to Patrick Dirden, our registration coordinator: pdirden at oreilly.com

The event features on-stage conversations with leaders from government and industry about how government can use technology more effectively to catalyze both innovation and citizen participation. The overall theme is "government as a platform," which I've written about below. Here are some of the people featured at the event:

* Federal CTO Aneesh Chopra and Federal CIO Vivek Kundra on their visions of technology in government

* Open gov pioneers Carl Malamud of public.resource.org and Tom Steinberg of mysociety.org, plus Ellen Miller and Clay Johnson from the Sunlight Foundation

* What can government learn from successful technology platforms: a panel with Vint Cerf, Jack Dorsey of Twitter, moderated by John Markoff

* Microsoft's Craig Mundie asking will be the "killer app" of government as a platform

* Jack Dangermond of ESRI and a bunch of geohackers who have at least one good answer to Mundie's question

* Hal Varian, Google's chief economist, on real time economics

* A conversation between Amazon CTO Werner Vogels and GSA CIO Casey Coleman about the government's cloud computing strategy

* Jo Anderson, special advisor to the Secretary of Education, on data driven measurement of education practices

* Kojo Nnamdi one-on-one with White House director of new media Macon Phillips

* John Podesta - an old hand looks at the new landscape and reflects

* innovation in the military with Army CIO General Jeffrey Sorenson

* Broadband policy with the FCC (speakers not yet announced)

* British Foreign Secretary John Miliband on gov 2.0 in the UK

and lots more. See http://gov2summit.com for details. There's also a related event on September 8, the Gov 2.0 Expo Showcase http://gov2expo.com .

The events explore how government can use technology to catalyze innovation, and to build frameworks for participation by citizens and the marketplace. As I wrote in my column in Forbes earlier this week:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/10/government-internet-software-technology-breakthroughs-oreilly.html

["Gov 2.0"] is a radical departure from the old model of government, which Donald Kettl so aptly named "vending machine government." We pay our taxes, we expect services. And when we don't get what we expect, our "participation" is limited to protest--essentially, shaking the vending machine.

In the vending-machine model, the full menu of available services is determined beforehand. A small number of vendors have the ability to get their products into the machine, and as a result, the choices are limited, and the prices are high.

Yet there is an alternate model, which is much closer to the kind of government envisioned by our nation's founders, a model in which, as Thomas Jefferson wrote in a letter to Joseph Cabel, "every man … fee ls that he is a participator in the government of affairs, not merel y at an election one day in the year, but every day." In this model, government is a convener and an enabler--ultimately, it is a vehicl e for coordinating the collective action of citizens.

So far, you may hear echoes of the dialog between liberals and conservatives that has so dominated political discourse in recent decades. But big government versus small government is in many ways beside the point. To frame the debate in terms familiar to technologists, the question is whether government is successful as a platform.

If you look at the history of the computer industry, the most successful companies are those that build frameworks that enable a whole ecosystem of participation from other companies large and small. The personal computer was such a platform. So was the World Wide Web. But this platform dynamic can be seen most vividly in the recent success of the Apple ( AAPL - news - people ) iPhone. Where other phones have a limited menu of applications developed by themselves and a few carefully chosen partners, Apple built a framework that allowed virtually anyone to build applications for the phone, leading to an explosion of creativity, with more than 50,000 applications appearing for the phone in less than a year, and more than 3,000 new ones now appearing every week.

This is the right way to frame the question of "Government 2.0." How does government itself become an open platform that allows people inside and outside government to innovate? How do you design a system in which all of the outcomes aren't specified beforehand, but instead evolve through interactions between the technology provider and its user community?

Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO O'Reilly Media
tim () oreilly com, http://radar.oreilly.com, http://twitter.com/timoreilly