Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Be afraid, be very afraid Health Info

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:42:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ronald J Riley \(RJR Com\)" <rjr () rjriley com>
Date: April 7, 2009 1:20:47 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   Be afraid, be very afraid Health Info

There is also the problem of medical service providers constantly sending inflated bills. I spent a year going back and forth with one provider who was invoicing me $100 for (insurance paid other items ok) a service which
was covered by the insurance policy.  They claimed that the insurance
company rejected the charges, while in fact the service provider had not
properly billed the item. I eventually got it cleared up, and it turned out
that the contract allowed a bit over twenty dollars for the service in
question.

When I pointed out the discrepancy between the allowed amount and the billed amount the service provider rationalized that it was reasonable to bill the
$100 even though they knew that I was covered by that policy.

It seems to me that this kind of overbilling is rampant in the current
system.

Ronald J Riley