Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Be afraid, be very afraid Health Info

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:49:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 7, 2009 7:20:09 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Be afraid, be very afraid Health Info

Karl - the idea you propose is a standard that could be used to organize many of the activities being proposed to make health care affordable. Call it "single estimate, single bill" - analogous to single payer - and it has a nice "bipartisan" political soundbite to it.

It's far from "shovel ready" though. To achieve that goal requires nothing less than a vast restructuring of the entire health economy - all of its institutions. Perhaps we could have the ribbon cutting in one year, and the new structure would be complete in 2025.

Why? The answer is that all of that inconsistent billing and reimbursement is embedded in the contracts between insurers and employers, insurers and providers (my wife, who is in private practice, has 7 separate contracts with 2-3 varieties of patients covered by each, among the "panels" on which she has been qualified to serve), and in a complex set of regulatory rules that often seem as if they were designed by Kafka for an unwritten novella called "The Procedure".

That contracting structure has a life of its own. It cannot be destroyed by a tiny uprising of citizens with shovels attacking Dr. Frankenstein.

David Farber wrote:

It strikes me, as one who has gone through some medical events of late that that there is a very inexpensive and easy thing that could be done immediately - it's "shovel ready".

And that would be for the medical system to give patents clear statements of prospective costs before a procedure and a clear statement of actual costs after a procedure.