Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How the Internet got its rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:42:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 7, 2009 12:56:37 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:     How the Internet got its rules

We need to be very cautious about generalizing from the success of the IETF. It’s success is very much related to the domain area – digital computing and connectivity which makes it feasible and even easy to tolerate experiments and failures, and to reproduce and improve what works. It is not so much an international rulemaking body as a virtual water cooler where people gather to work out kinks.

We can look at IPv6 as an example of what happens when the body attempts to impose solutions. Fortunately it has limited ability to force adoption.

ICANN, in sharp contrast, is trying to be such a rulemaking body and seems to revel in the degree to which people continue to be dependent upon it like they are dependent upon the ITU and other agencies.