Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: pro regulation viewpoint on cyber vulnerabiltiy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:23:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: April 1, 2009 12:03:51 PM EDT
To: bmeeks () cox net, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: pro regulation viewpoint on cyber vulnerabiltiy

Brock:

I think it is widely understood that a) Microsoft "lost" as much as two years in its development of Vista learning how to write "secure" software and b) that the security configuration requirements in Vista were among the more obnoxious aspects of the OS Windows 7 (i.e. Vista- Lite) revamps much of this.

In addition, from what I can tell, many people in the programming world nowadays consider Microsoft to be a first-class software development shop -- in part due to this exhaustive internal re- training effort. Based on many conversations I've had with folks in the security world, Microsoft now gets pretty high marks.

Lastly, Microsoft's largest customer is/was the US Army. Meeting Common Criteria tests is pretty important in that world. COTS kinda forces the Pentagon to use Windows, it seems.

None of that speaks to the everyday issues of trying to get people to wise-up and not download viruses and the problems of securing legacy- compatible APIs.

Mark Stahlman
New York City

New Low Prices on Dell Laptops - Starting at $399