Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: pro regulation viewpoint on cyber vulnerabiltiy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:11:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: April 1, 2009 8:51:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: pro regulation viewpoint on cyber vulnerabiltiy

Vadim:

In fact, Microsoft's focus on improving the security capabilities of WIndows starting in 2000 was the direct result of government intervention. This was the primary issue "resolved" by the DoJ anti- trust case, as I suspect some people at Symantec who can attest.

As the NSA representative at the last Comdex show told me, roughly 50 people from NSA "decamped" to the Redmond campus in mid-2000 and had remained there "on a rotating basis" from then on. Btw, he told me this in making the argument that Microsoft was not installing "backdoors" as the Chinese and others feared. Teaching Microsoft how to develop code that would pass Common Criteria tests was a part of the task, as well as the topic of the NSA booth at Comdex.

I am not making an argument regarding "market failure" here and generally agree with your comments.

Mark Stahlman
New York City