Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: who write the wall street software?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:22:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 1, 2009 1:11:30 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] who write the wall street software?

This reminds me of people attempting to explain hedges to me back in the 60’s or 70’s. They said that you invest in Plan B so if Plan A failed you’d limit your losses. I accepted that but asked whether that isn’t just another way of saying you’d accept a lower return for lower risk. They said no because …

I was either too dumb to understand or they were trying to explain how they finally solved the problem of perpetual motion. As Mlodinow observed in The Drunkard’s Walk statistically some of those people turned out to have guessed right and thus the idea was “proven”. Sort of like having 10 people walk across a busy street blindfolded and using the existence of a sole survivor to prove it is a good idea.