Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Verdict: The Pirate Bay Guilty

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:09:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: April 17, 2009 12:08:06 PM EDT
To: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Verdict: The Pirate Bay Guilty

Greetings Andy, Dave

Some hopefully helpful corrections about the U.S. criminal copyright laws.

Certain copyright infringements have been a criminal offence in the US
since '97 - 1897 that is.  I think Andy's correct about what should be
a crime, and he's also correct about some significant expansions to
the criminal laws that happened in 1997.  The US, however,  has had
criminal copyright enforcement for over a century.  An excellent
summary from the copyright office is at
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/2265_stat.html

(Not that that should matter much or at all for what other countries
want to criminalize or decriminalize  ;)

-Ethan