Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A question about Google and Google voice

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:22:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sunil Garg <sunil () sunilgarg com>
Date: April 12, 2009 3:05:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A question about Google and Google voice

Marissa Mayer confirmed this 1.5 years ago with regards to Google 411.
The speech recognition experts that we have say: If you want us to build a really robust speech model, we need a lot of phonemes, which is a syllable as spoken by a particular voice with a particular intonation. So we need a lot of people talking, saying things so that we can ultimately train off of that. ... So 1-800-GOOG-411 is about that: Getting a bunch of different speech samples so that when you call up or we're trying to get the voice out of video, we can do it with high accuracy.

http://www.infoworld.com/print/40539

Regards,
Sunil