Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A question about Google and Google voice

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:21:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Milan Merhar <reference.desk () gmail com>
Date: April 12, 2009 3:50:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A question about Google and Google voice

Dave,

That argument had been confirmed as part of the rationale for Google's launching of its GOOG-411 (voice-activated search) telephone service, as described in this article. Whether or not similar data mining is being performed on their newer voice chat service has to my knowledge not be revealed.

Personally, I believe that the significance of any privacy issues may be strongly dependent on implementation. As you say, in the worst case conversations are recorded then replayed for analysis, creating a corpus that becomes an enticing target for "mission creep" usage. However, if the mandate is only to refine a "pretty good" voice recognizer into a "very good" speaker-independent one, I speculate that it might be possible to do so without divulging the contents of any one conversation, e.g. by utilizing single words sampled from many different conversations, rather than many words sampled from one conversation. I'm sure that some will still question whether this is adequate, especially given how difficult it would be to verify such promised behavior.

- milan