Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Why Can't The Majority Act?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:19:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dave Wilson" <dave () wilson net>
Date: September 27, 2008 12:15:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Why Can't The Majority Act?

Paul Krugman has an answer:

September 27, 2008,  8:48 am
Tricky bailout politics

Nouriel Roubini has a characteristically scathing takedown of the Paulson plan, and here's the thing: language aside, his economic analysis is similar to mine. The fundamental problem in the financial system is too little capital; bizarrely, the Treasury chose not to address that problem directly, by (say) purchasing preferred shares in financial institutions. Instead, the plan is premised on the belief that toxic mortgage-related waste is underpriced, and that the Treasury can recapitalize banks on the cheap by fixing the markets' error.

The Dodd-Frank changes make the plan less awful, mainly by creating an equity stake. Essentially, this makes it possible for the plan to do the right thing through the back door: use toxic-waste purchases to acquire equity, and hence inject capital after all. Also, the oversight means that Treasury can be prevented from making the plan a pure gift to financial evildoers. But it's still not a good plan.

On the other hand, there's no prospect of enacting an actually good plan any time soon. Bush is still sitting in the White House; and anyway, selling voters on large-scale stock purchases would be tough, especially given the cynical attacks sure to come from the right. And the financial crisis is all too real.

So is it better to have no plan than a deeply flawed plan? If it was the original Paulson plan, no plan is better. Dodd-Frank-Paulson may just cross the line — let's see what details we have if and when agreement is reached.

If the plan looks not-awful enough, I'll be pro. But I won't be cheering — I'll be holding my nose.