Interesting People mailing list archives

Would better data analysis reduce the financial bail-out?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:27:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Date: September 26, 2008 1:16:25 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Would better data analysis reduce the financial bail-out?

I don't pretend to understand the finance system any better than the average Wall Street trader, but it seems to me the White House and Congress are stuck in 1930s-era thinking and are bulking up their bail- out unnecessarily. Couldn't we get the data to apply our precious public funds more effectively?
We could figure out exactly how risky each asset is, exactly how much exposure each institution has to bad loans or collapsing stocks and bonds, and what the overall health of each institution is.
We could spider the net of financial investments the way search engines spider the Web, and triage our efforts.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09/would-better-data-analysis-red.html

--
Andy Oram  O'Reilly Media                     email: andyo () oreilly com
Editor     10 Fawcett Street                       voice: 617-499-7479