Interesting People mailing list archives

Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:01:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 20, 2008 3:45:25 PM EDT
To: Jon Urdan <jon () lambeaucap com>
Cc: "'Savage, Christopher'" <ChrisSavage () dwt com>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

Isn't it true that you can't hedge against Black Swans, by definition?

There is no "black swan" here, I think. I think the problem is that the modelers decided that their models were true, regardless of data. That is, they were mathematically true, but not empirically true.

There's a reason that experimental physicists continually re-test such things as the idea that the cosmological constant is zero or that inertial and gravitational mass are equivalent. That reason is that even the "laws of physics" are contingent on what we *think* we know.

The "laws of finance" are far from physics in their quality of validation, and quants are largely *failed* physicists - ones who studied the texts but had little participation in the actual culture of physics.

(of course, the physics subculture of "string theorists" has many problems, too, since they have been shown to habitually avoid creating hypotheses that are falsifiable).