Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:37:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 22, 2008 8:23:09 AM EDT
To: Claudio Gutierrez <claudio.gutierrez.m () gmail com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

I don't withdraw my remarks. They are harsh for the following reason. It's a bit into the structure of the meaning we attach to Science, but it's crucially important.

My comment about "failed physicists" refers to the migration of people
- who were trained to operate in a scientific culture, one where *experimentalists* hold considerable power over the theorists, forcing them to *test* their theories, because the culture demands it.

to:
- a culture where a theory's "truth" need not be validated continually against experiment, where instead, the *very high pay* goes to people who can *convince* (con?) investors to believe untested claims, merely because mathematical standards are involved. (the quote from Fischer Black merely proves my point...he is of that other culture - merely a mathematical thinker of another sort and "useful" clearly means something other than what a true physicist must care about).

Of *course* some mathematically proficient souls would move to a field where they need only convince others of something, *regardless of its truth,* in order to make money. I make no judgement as to overall goodness of that, but I do judge them as physicists. I also make no judgement as to their mathematical skill.

They have *failed* as physicists, therefore. They have failed to preserve their cultural norms, one that *defines* physics.

Were "using convincing mathematized theory" a test for successful physics, we could claim that computational astrology is part of physics and also part of psychology.

String theorists who choose to eschew experimental testing *also* run the risk of becoming failed physicists. To be a successful physicist is more than writing a pretty thesis with equations that follow mathematical rules and are consistent with some past observations (curve-fitting). It is functioning in the cultural norms of physics. Testing one's theories is the *ante* for being any kind of success as a physicist - even when the theories prove false!

Claudio Gutierrez wrote:
<David P. Reed wrote> I think the problem is that the modelers decided that their models were true, regardless of data....The "laws of finance" are far from physics in their quality of validation, and quants are largely *failed* physicists

No one has declared that the laws of finance are empirically validated. Fischer Black (the Black in Black-Scholes formula for the valuation of stocks options) wrote: "In the end, a theory is accepted not because it is confirmed by conventional empirical tests, but because researchers persuade one another that the theory is correct and relevant" . Thomas Wilson, chief insurance risk officer of the ING Group, wrote: "A model is always wrong, but not useless."

Additionally, to say that quants are failed physicists is like saying that Electrical Engineers fail when we don't work developing circuits. Many quants are PhD in physics but they are also mathematicians and computer scientists who have migrated to financial sector because better salaries and working conditions. A very good account of being first an successful physicist and then a quant is found on the book "My life as a Quant" by Emanuel Derman.

Regards
Claudio