Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Penny Black & bandwidth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:08:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Moskowitz <scott () bluespike com>
Date: October 17, 2008 1:11:18 PM EDT
To: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: for IP : Penny Black & bandwidth

Dan, we *are* paying upfront, every month. I pay an ISP, and do not
believe they have any clue as to the value of this e-mail or my time,
let alone your time. But, we are not differentiating between access &
service. Nor are the providers providing measurements that we can
expense to determine "who" pays. I know what my bill says, my
SurplusMeter & PGP tell me quite different things. And, to top it off
providers decide what and how to filter exchanges of data (DMCA, one
example - spam masked as small biz marketing is another) without
regard to the content or even context of the exchange - except when
those decisions can be used to argue that capacity is being hurt -
the "scare-city" argument.

This is not a postal system: it is a medium of exchange, just like
currency. Generally, FEDEX makes money: USPS does not. Their
logistics/distance planning is obviously superior as FEDEX handles
USPS packages. FEDEX was an innovator though and always seen as a
challenger to postal systems. I do not see how [providers today are
better at logistics over what packets are more valuable than others -
thus they allow spam. Individuals engaged in direct peering
arrangements probably have less spam problems: but these arrangements
are also limited by what the provider dictates.

Machines are only cheaper for that which we can define and objectify:
they are not efficient at determining "value". Until we are able to
differentiate between what is my network and what is the cloud, we
are ignoring innovation in how to maximize demand for particular
packets  over other packets. Spam, like "willingness to pay", is a
driven by human decision-making. If we knew the false positives, we
would not need a market.

Respectfully, that is the issue - we need a market to determine the
expense &/or value of bandwidth - including situations were the user
shares in the provider's upside (eg, even trademark holders are
increasingly demanding a share in Google search results). Hey, I wish
the text providers were able to innovate something like twitter for
the disproportionate value they attribute to SMS bandwidth, but they
didn't & twitter doesn't make money ... Even though humans filter
through twitter with all its warts ... I have some theories on how to
value tweets, but that would be off-topic & might increase the value
of this e-mail above a penny black ;-)

Thanks for letting me raise my objection[s].

Sincerely,
Scott
http://www.bluespike.com/