Interesting People mailing list archives

Giz Explains: Why HD Video Downloads Aren't Very High Def

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:10:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: October 17, 2008 1:24:39 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Giz Explains: Why HD Video Downloads Aren't Very High Def

[Note: Worth reading! Makes it clear why we're going to need access to broadband infrastructures a lot faster then we have today if we're really going use/view HD content. DLH]

Giz Explains: Why HD Video Downloads Aren't Very High Def
2:20 PM on Wed Sep 10 2008
By matt buchanan
<http://gizmodo.com/5048025/giz-explains-why-hd-video-downloads-arent-very-high-def > Yesterday Apple introduced HD TV downloads to the iTunes store, meaning you can watch Peter be super emo on Heroes at a crispy 720p resolution. That's a higher resolution than DVD, and technically, yup, that's HD. There's a catch though. Like every other video download service touting HD videos, it's all actually lower quality than DVD.

It's all about bitrate: How much data is packed into a file, described as bits per second. Generally speaking, a higher bitrate translates into higher quality audio and video, though quality can also be affected by codec—the encoding and compression technique that was used to make and read the file—so bitrate is not an absolute mark of quality, but it's still a very good indicator.

You're probably most familiar with this bitrate business when it comes to ripping your CDs. When you shove a CD into your computer, your ripping program will ask what format you want and what bitrate you want. A song ripped at a higher bitrate will sound better, with more presence and detail, but it does take up more space.

The same principle applies with video, though it's actually a bigger deal, because it's easier to see quality differences in video than it is to hear differences in audio. The bits make a huge difference when you get into fast moving stuff like sports or action movies—to be frank, they'll look like splattered, smeared shit in highly compressed low-bitrate vids. This chart below, expertly crafted by George Ou at ZDNet provides a solid starting point for comparison, with average bitrates of most digital video available.

[snip]RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>